Monday, June 17, 2013

Robert John Godfrey Diagnosed with Alzheimer's



Sad news on The Enid front. Leader and main composer, Robert John Godfrey, has written on Facebook that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. This news comes after The Enid had completed a spring tour, with guest Enochian Theory, in support of their wonderful CD Invicta, the second in a planned trilogy, the first of which was Journeys End. Moreover, Robert John Godfrey had just released his second solo album, titled The Art of Melody, to fantastic reviews.

In his own words:
Dear all,
 
I wanted to let you know that my diagnosis of Alzheimer’s is confirmed and what this is going to mean for the future of The Enid.
 
I suppose I had “known” that I was ill for maybe a year. I began to notice changes with the way I perceived my surroundings and with my day to day activities. I felt there was something wrong and I suspected it might be dementia (or worse).
 
My diagnosis has... come as no surprise. It is just my very short term memory that is different and my ability to recall the names of people I know well. I still have all my long term memories – I probably will have right up to the end. My intellect still seems as good as ever, though that will not last. I have not noticed any changes with regard to my creative abilities and so far nothing has changed with regard to playing the piano.

I am now seeking a successor to take my place in The Enid. I probably have two or three years in which to find him and get him settled. He will need to have a good piano technique with a background in classical/romantic music rather than jazz; a knowledge of music technology; a talent for finding a good tune and a thorough understanding of harmony. Above all he will need to be generous in spirit and willing to collaborate with those who have different but nevertheless just as valuable abilities as his own.

I have had a great life doing nothing but music – I have wonderful friends within the band and I feel very much loved and appreciated – I lost any fear of death many years ago and the story of my life will come full circle as indeed it must. A symphony with a silence at either end.

Yours as ever
Robert


I have had the pleasure of speaking with him at the release of Journeys End, and will probably re-up the interview done for the International Prog Rock Show for listeners to enjoy his wit and intelligence in speaking about his passion: music! I do hope to see them live in the near future, as they are a band like no other.

UPDATE: You can download the interview with Robert John Godfrey, IPRS 68, from the Podcast tab.
 
 Robert John Godfrey's website: http://robertjohngodfrey.org/index.php
 

No comments:

Post a Comment