Monday, June 29, 2015

Chris Squire Remembered


Messages of love and remembrance abounded yesterday and continue today as people learn of Chris Squire's passing. Last night at Steven Wilson's show, Steven started the encore by talking about Chris, then he played "Trains" and dedicated it to his memory.

For those not on Facebook (and I know a lot of you are not). Here is a sampling of the messages posted there.

The press statement by the current members of Yes (Alan White, Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, and Jon Davison):
It's with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. For the entirety of Yes' existence, Chris was the band's linchpin and, in so many ways, the glue that held it together over all these years. Because of his phenomenal bass-playing prowess, Chris influenced countless bassists around the world, including many of today's well-known artists.

From Bill Bruford (Facebook):
Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension, it seemed, strangely, to work.
(...) I offer sincere condolences to his family
 Adios, partner. Bill.
 
From Jon Anderson (Notes from the Edge):
Chris was a very special part of my life; we were musical brothers. He was an amazingly unique bass player - very poetic - and had a wonderful knowledge of harmony. We met at a certain time when music was very open, and I feel blessed to have created some wonderful, adventurous, music with him. Chris had such a great sense of humor... he always said he was Darth Vader to my Obi-wan. I always thought of him as Christopher Robin to my Winnie the Pooh.
We travelled a road less travelled and I'm so thankful that he climbed the musical mountains with me. Throughout everything, he was still my brother, and I'm so glad we were able to reconnect recently. I saw him in my meditation last night, and he was radiant. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
Love and light.....Jon

From Benoit David (Le Soleil):
Chris was a guy who really lived at 100 miles an hour. He was the member of the band who was most difficult to live with. But when he started to make music, we'd forget everything. And when this tall imposing guy, at 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, put your hand on your shoulders, it gave you energy. It was easy to connect with him.

From Steve Hackett (Squackett) (Facebook):
I am devastated by the news of Chris Squire's passing. A special pal and a man who defined the progressive genre. Open to all styles with a love of orchestras and choirs as well as thunderous rock, his passing leaves a huge hole in the heart of music. His ingenious sound was unique. Farewell my friend. I loved making the Squackett album with you and all the other projects we worked on together, including your recent work with me on Love Song to a Vampire... It feels like only yesterday. Thank you for all the good times. Saying you will be missed is a complete understatement, and my heart goes out to Scotty and all your family.
Warmest wishes to all,
Steve


And snipets from musicians who were also fans:

From Andy Tillison (The Tangent) :
He was the bass player on the first album I ever bought. the one I heard playing from the top of the stairs - in the song "Muffled Epiphany" on Sacre. This was my introduction to the sound that instrument could make, the way it could run up and down yet hold the whole thing together like it was a simple foundation.
 
From Fabio Zuffanti (Finisterre, Maschera di Cera):
I never knew, nor will I ever know, how to play bass like Chris Squire. So I made up my mind never to copy his style. But his sound, his way of being on stage, his vocal harmonies and its thousands of notes, impossible for me, have been important lessons!


From Steve Hogarth (Marillion):
Every once in a while, a musician comes along who redefines the sound of a musical instrument and how it can be used in the making of art. Such people are true innovators and rare talents. Chris Squire was just that. He brought his instrument - the bass - to the front of Yes's music and endowed it with fabulous rasping, grinding melodic tones normally reserved for lead instruments. (...). 
Rest in peace, Chris

From John Payne (Asia mark II) :
(...) I fell blessed to have known him. His signature Ricky sound was unmistakeable. His personality and humor even larger. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and band mates. RIP Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment